It's 2.47am and we've got a fairly severe flood going on in our vestibule! We have just performed a rescue operation of the valuables, electronics and recovered some packet food and sealed ourselves within the 'inner' of our Hilleberg tent, hoping that it lives up to its reputation tonight! The water level is rising and the ground sheet is actually floating below us. In fact, I need to put this on hold right now, as we need to pack up the sleeping bags and put our water proofs on, the water is now seeping through the floor!!!
On performing a closer inspection and regardless of the water level that has now risen above the footprint outside, we are also getting a considerable splattering through some of the seams of our tent too. The entrance zip is particularly problematic and there are two seams firing in water, one of which is just above the entrance to our inner sleeping area, so we can actually feel the spray coming though the mosquito protection! It's beginning to feel a little like a water bed below our mats and there is water slowly squeezing through the inner ground sheet under our weight. We have gathered the sleeping bags upon the mats and hidden the electronics in the bags but we are still nice and warm and dry. There is an empty caravan across the road that belongs to the campsite, we are considering making the dash!
We are situated in a campsite 10km north of Dubrovnik, Autocamp Orasac, turning in here after hearing the 5 day weather forecast ahead of us and thought we ought to buckle down the hatches for a few days. It is a stark reminder that winter is approaching, we have missed our weather window to tour through Central Asia and need to consider our options for the winter months. Our route will continue south for now, travelling along the Adriatic coast of Montenegro, Albania and Greece until Athens. Then we'll have to stow our bicycles and see what work we can find to keep the cash flow going. I quite fancy teaching English in Turkey or maybe working in the Turkish shipyards maintaining their traditional gillets. Who knows, all part of the adventure! Very sleepy now and we've decided to stay put and ride out the storm on our yellow blowup islands.
October 13th.. 11.51am
So the deluge dried up and we scrubbed down our belongings, but the ride was just beginning. Something very unexpected happened and Nowhere2far had some big decisions to make. Out of the blue, a message arrived via Skype.
"Where were we? What are we up to? And, would we like a job?" The job description followed; "I need David as First Mate/ Engineer, Holly as Chef/ Stewardess onboard a motor yacht based in the Caribbean and Fort Lauderdale." The salary's and further details proceeded. It was a fabulous offer.
Before we set out on this epic world voyage, there were light discussions about what we should do if opportunities or unexpected events crop up along the trip. It was decided that we would cross that path when it came to it. Well now we've come to it!
Our fellow campers were struggling to see the sense in why we were even considering turning down an opportunity to deviate to the warmer climates of the Caribbean. Whilst David and I were pulling on heart strings. We knew how much heart and soul we had devoted to this journey and our excitement was only intensifying the further we travelled. Knowing that winter is just around the corner, we had to think about this rationally. Realistically, we have maybe six weeks of cycling left, this will get us to Athens or Istanbul. Then we would have to think about shacking up for winter. Our bicycles still have outstanding problems which desperately need to be resolved before we continue and they are not equipped for the severe sub-zero conditions of Central Asia, neither are we! Then there would be logistical issues like where to hang out for the winter months, visas, and earning enough money to sustain ourselves. On the other hand, we had a phenomenal offer in front of us which would resolve all of the above and add to the tales and adventures of Nowhere2far.
Then we received an email from David's mother, underlining a quote that we had said ourselves in a media interview prior to our departure;
"Between the UK and Australia, we shall be heading off on numerous escapades in the wrong direction! This is our opportunity to see as much as we can, so we are adding in a number of extra routes."
Thank you Monica, this is very true, we did say that!
The decision was made, David and I were heading to Trinidad and this would be our new stomping ground..
If you have been enjoying following our progress and stories, then no worries, there will be plenty to tell in the proceeding chapters of Nowhere2far's ever evolving journey. We will also bring you more stories from our incredible experiences though Romania, Serbia, Bosnia and Croatia, so stay tuned!